My goal is to help my clients use their special, unique qualities to find solutions to problems, enhance their relationships, build confidence, and develop a healthy sense of self. Behavior, mood, social, and academic functioning improve when teenagers feel good about themselves, and when they see possibilities instead of limitations.
How it works for teens with me:
I have found it works best when the teenaged client feels as if they have some choice regarding coming to counseling. If you are a parent or guardian and looking for a counselor for your teen, I suggest that you take myself, and a few other counselors who you’ve checked out-- up on the offer of the free consult, and allow the teen to come and meet with each one, and then decide who they feel most comfortable with. I would be happy to provide you with some other counselors in the area who I know are great too if you are feeling overwhelmed with the process.
If your teen does feel comfortable with me, and chooses to work with me, I find it is a lot easier to work one on one with them, versus having the parent in the room. This has nothing to do with the level of trust or care you have with them, but more about allowing them to have that space outside of their life, to go through this process. Family sessions are then on an as needed basis, if needed at all.
Common issues focused on in individual therapy with Adolescents are:
- Managing anxiety, depression, and mood swings
- Enhancing educational performance and motivation
- Improving anger management and frustration tolerance
- Dealing with social pressures and joining healthy peer groups
- Improving judgment and making positive choices
- Developing positive coping skills
- Effective ways of handling peer pressure
- Improving positive and clear communication
- Improving compliance at home, school and in the community
- Developing a healthy and positive sense of self